He Glows: Rick Schuiteman

 By: Shelley Galbreath

Rick Schuiteman is frequently asked why he would relocate to Fort Wayne from San Diego, where he lived for 37 years. His answer is simple…because of the Fort Wayne Children’s Zoo. Schuiteman is the new Executive Director and he could not be happier with his decision to accept the open position five months ago.

“A year ago, I would never have imaged moving my family to Fort Wayne and working at the Children’s Zoo, but now that we are here, we are thrilled.  I hope to be a part of the zoo family for many years to come,” he said. 

Tell our readers about your family.

I have a beautiful family of five. My wife, a 5th Generation Californian, agreed to move to the Midwest to start a new adventure, which I am grateful for. My youngest son, Brady, is a freshman at Homestead High School. He is on the football team and is really enjoying his first few months here. My daughter, Katie, has also joined us in Fort Wayne and is attending online college.  She works for a video production company out of San Diego. My oldest son, Matt, attends San Diego State University and is currently living in San Diego.

Where did you work previously?

I spent 34 years with SeaWorld. On April 1, 2020, I, along with 95% of SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment employees, was furloughed. 

What made you want to choose our zoo and our city?

My wife and I visited Fort Wayne in late July to see the city and the zoo. Immediately we noticed a lifestyle pace that was different from San Diego. The city was big but had a small-town feel.  Everyone, and I mean everyone, was so welcoming and friendly.   

What an amazing zoo! The grounds were so well kept. The animal exhibits were so natural. The landscaping was beautiful. The families visiting the Zoo were happy and engaged.  It was such a wonderful experience; I knew I wanted to be a part of it. 

Is there anything else you would like to add?

I would love to take a moment to thank the community of Fort Wayne and all of those who support our Zoo. The generosity is so overwhelming. It is meaningful to the team… and to the animals.  We just could not do this without our supporters, so thank you!

Comments